English writing practices. Any comments for my english will be VERY APPRECIATED.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

A short trip to Southampton

A day after the island trip with 4x4 guys, I had a business trip to UK, another island. Instead of sailing on the ferryboat with seagulls and fresh wind, I had to sit down at a small and narrow chair in the darkness more than 10 hours, watching a couple of movies and feeding food-looking things with the name of meals .
I used to enjoy long-distance fligts for overseas travels so far but this time, it was not good actually. I'm not sure I am getting too old to enjoy the long hours flight now, but there were some accidents too. I'll talk about it later..

West/Watts Park, Southampton, UK

I'd spent 3 days at Southampton and had no time to look around the city actually. You know it's a business trip. But fortunately the sun had risen in the very early morning(around 4 am?), and I could take a walk to a few historic places near the hotel I stayed at in the really early morning-before 7 am..


What I'd learned about the city anyway were:

1. Southampton is a really old city, an old port older than 700 years
2. Actually it's a medieval city and I can find several medieval remains like a bargate, wall, and houses.
3. A very clam and pleasant city even though it's a sort of industrial complex-I mean factories like phillips and so.


Bargate, a symbol-like thing for Southampton


Medieval Wall, Southampton, UK



Old houses on the wall, Southampton, UK

Outside of an old building, Southampton, UK

(Merchant house or Martime Museum, I'm not sure)

A modern store through the Barget arch.

The Cenotaph, War Memorial, Southampton, UK.

I got more facts about Southampton after I returned to home.

It was the port(place) that the historic ship Mayflower had departed for her first trip to the new continent-America- with Philgrims. I would have tried to find more remains for Mayflower if I knew it earlier..

6 comments:

Raphael CH Lee said...

Oh~ diligent boy.
You could make advantage of early bird's time.
Southampton looks very interesting place. It's amazing this old city has concering with famous May Flower. Thank you for good peeping into Middle Age's city.
Actually "A modern store through the Barget arch" is very good and I can feel photographer's intention pretty well. This picture use the technique frame inside frame. I think inner frame look thicker a little bit especially upper wall. As a result the mordern shop should be smaller.
Any way good picture!

Wind Stopper said...

Yeah,I see. Actually the gap of the amounts of the lights in inside and outside was quite big, and hard to get the color of inner wall vividly with the big outside figure.. As your comment, it would be better if the inside frame was bigger, I agree.

Thanks..

m said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Southampton. I have never been there! Lovely photos, too!

Wind Stopper said...

hi, montchan. Yup, Lovely places make lovely photos. A nice place it was...

Anonymous said...

These pictures are somewhat exotic to me. Constructions and scenaries are unfamiliar to me.

Anyway, how's your trip? What accident were occurred to you?
I really curious about that.

Wind Stopper said...

oh.. i'll update with the story soon..